Tuesday, January 4, 2011

In the beginning...

This is my first blog post. I first want to say thank you to all the amazing bloggers who have inspired me to start this. After months of lurking in the back row of Twitter, Google Reader, and various other PLN sites, I have decided to be a contributor. Hopefully my contributions are seen as valuable.

As with any new undertaking, I need a purpose and goals.

The purpose of this blog is to give me a forum to share my thoughts as well as receive input from the education community. At the title suggests, I am a young buck. Without writing an "About Me" section here, I graduated with my Master's in Administration/Supervision and was hired as a Principal when I was 25 years old. Although I am a product of the public school system, my professional experience has been in Christian Education (both in the U.S. and overseas). While my intention is not to compare public and Christian schools, I anticipate comments and conversations addressing those difference. I will come out and say that I am not against public education or its teachers.

My short-term goals for my blog are
  1. to create a biography page.
  2. to outline (probably in some depth) what I believe. Regardless of religion (you will find out that I don't like that word) or lack of religion, our actions are guided by what we believe. This is true both inside and outside of the classroom. In order for me to effectively frame my thoughts, I must clearly articulate what I believe.
  3. to research and implement additional features on this blog that will enhance a reader's experience. I have seen so many amazing blogs with great feature. I need to figure out what I can and cannot do.
  4. to create a simple way of sharing my favorite resources.
While there are some foundational differences, my long-term hope is that I can create a place where all educators, Christian and non-Christian alike, can come together for the for the sake of our students.

I appreciate any comments and encouragement as I undertake this ongoing project.

    3 comments:

    Justin said...

    Congrats on starting your blog! I get that comment about being young a lot too - I was hired when I was 26.

    Ian Kelly said...

    Hey Trevor,

    It was a riot to read your blog title. I too get the same response. I was hired at 29 and the response from folks cracks me up to this day. I am 3 years in now and have just started blogging myself. I am interested in seeing how your blog develops. I have started writing about subjects that are relevant to my work now and through that writing I am finding that my beliefs and value systems are coming through. Might be a way to think about bringing narrative to expressing who you are as a person, teacher, and leader.

    Looking forward to reading what you have to say!

    Ian

    Ashley C. said...

    I think I was one of those people who said you look too young!! :0) God bless in your new endeavor!! I am adding you to my Reader!

    Post a Comment