Friday, February 25, 2011

How Long to Plan a Lesson?

I know there is no way to measure the time exactly. But I would like to know how long it takes, on average, for an elementary teacher to plan a single lesson, including setup/prep.

Please leave your time in the comments (along with your grade). If you can't say for one lesson, perhaps you can say how long it takes you to plan for the week, and include how many lessons/subjects you teach. (I know, you could probably do the division, but some don't like to be that absolute. Broadening the scope may make it easier.)

Thanks for entertaining my curiosity.


3 comments:

Tammy Dikeman said...

I create detailed UbD unit plans which allows me to move them easily into a lesson plan. I can then add the indicator of success, assessment strategy, and actual activity. With highly detailed unit plans I can create a lesson plan in 30-90 minutes. The more materials to be gathered the longer the prep time required. I've taught K-9 and the times are fairly consistent. Now a good unit plan can take me anywhere from 8 hrs and up.

Pernille Ripp said...

Hmm, tricky questions. Being the 3rd year teaching the same science and math curriculum that doesn't take too long to plan unless the lesson is wonky and I have to create my own. Literacy and social studies though can take days from thought process, then actual discussion with myself and with my husband to then finally putting the words down on paper. I do not write out formal lesson plans though but step processes with hints of dialogue etc and the goal in huge block letters.

youngprincipal said...

Tammy, Thanks for your feedback. I myself follow a similar approach, though not the exact framework. I find backwards planning to be so much more common-sense, but then again I only teach one section of a 9th grade Bible class anymore. That leaves me more time for unit planning and refinement. Do you get most of your unit planning done over the summer and then tweak it as the year goes depending on where the class goes?

Pernille,
I think the one section of Bible I teach is very similar to a History/Social Studies class in its approach. I spend most of my "planning" time, just thinking and bouncing ideas around. As mentioned above, with the end in mind, the unit and lesson goals are always in huge letters on paper and the actual process may morph (sometimes a lot). That is funny that we do the same thing.

Post a Comment